CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

8.26.2008

I need help!!!!!

I need all of you mommies to help me.  I only have about 2 weeks left of being prego and I am just trying to figure out what is a necessity and what is just cool to have.  These are the last of the things that I am considering.  I dont think that I need them all but I have heard some people say they cant live without these things.   


The bumbo.  These didn't exist with my last child but I have seen many people use them and heard of many people loving them.  Are they really as useful as everyone says?
Bouncers... I never got one of these with Krey.  I just always used his swing.  but back then I lived in a one level house and it wasn't a pain to move the swing from one room to the other.  Now living in a multi level house it might be much more of  a pain.  
A play mat thing.... whatever these are called.  I did have this with Krey and he just loved it.  I would like to get a new one because the first one was a hand me down and I cant seem to find some of the toys to it.  So I am debating on buying a new one.  I dont know how necessary it is to have this and a bouncer.  I know they have a few different purposes.  
Video monitor... Shawn is absolutely determined that we need this.  With krey I didn't even have a regular monitor let a lone this video monitor, but then again I lived in a much smaller house back then.  I do like the idea of seeing the baby if you need to.  but i am afraid its one of those things you use for the first few weeks then you dont use it anymore.  They are kind of expensive for just using them for a few weeks.  With Krey I used motherly instincts and that worked for me.  I could tell what he needed by the sound that he was making.  

So if you could give me some feed back and tell me what worked for you guys I would just love it!!!!

7 comments:

Ali said...

Like you, I didn't have a Bumbo chair for Eliza. I bought one for Henry, thinking we'd use it all the time - but the truth is, Henry's not that into it (he's now 5 months). He does great in his exersaucer, swing, bouncer and loves to play with toys while on the floor on a blanket. If I had the tray that went with the bumbo, he might last longer playing in it, but the truth is, he knocks his toys off so quickly that it doesn't entertain him long. Other Mom's swear that they're the best thing ever, but for me... not so much.

The bouncer has been used since week one. It's great. It's easy to carry from room to room. Depending on which one you buy, they can play with hanging toys that are attached to bouncer. I've liked this with both of our kids.

The video monitor... that depends on where baby girl will be sleeping. I wake up and go into Henry's room when he wakes up to eat. I'm a light sleeper now that I'm a Mom. If I want to check on him first hand, I don't mind walking into his room to watch him sleep, adjust his blankets, etc. If your daughter is far away from your room, you might want a monitor if you don't think you'll hear her. Personally, I need to de-stress at night. I put my kids to bed and try and distract myself with something non-child related. If I had a monitor to look at all night long, I would never fully relax.As long as you know that you will hear her when she needs you, I wouldn't worry about it. Eventually when she does wake up at night (and is a little older), she'll learn to self soothe herself back to sleep.When my babies are newborns, they sleep in our room. When their sleeping patterns are more predictable and when I feel comfortable, I put them in their own room.

Sorry this is SOOO long. Every baby is different, this is simply my experience. Go with what your instinct says. :) Grandma Flegal always made fun of how much "stuff" mom's these days have come to "rely on." Not to mention, your a veteran/pro Mom. You'll be great.

Katie Corbridge said...

Bumbo… I’ve been contemplating purchasing one of these too. My sister-in-law helped me with my baby registry and didn’t tell me to add it? Landon may be to the point soon where it won’t be of much use anymore? I’m already going crazy with all the colorful, noise making, baby stuff through out my house and that I have to store now!

Bouncer… I like it because I can move it around the house and he can still be next to me while I’m making dinner and cleaning.

Play mat… Haley and I bought the rainforest one and the babies seem to really like it. It plays fun music and makes the cutest rainforest sounds. It does provide a different form of entertainment for baby. Yet, I have one of those link-a-doo things and Landon likes that best. He goes crazy kicking and grabbing the toys on it.

Video monitor… for me, not a must. I think your regular monitor works fine. If the baby starts fussing and making noises you’ll just go and check on her. However, maybe it’s a good idea when you have a client and you can’t check up continually? The light from the video monitor at night may bug too? Yet, I’m sure seeing her will help with SIDS and other unsafe sleeping.

The Jensen's said...

Congrats 2 weeks left! We have 7 1/2 and it won't come soon enough! I have been thinking a lot about all these things too way funny!

Bumbo: Eric's sister got one of these for her last baby and he fell out! It was right when they came out so it didn't have the tray or the little back support. She returned it and I didn't get one in result.

Bouncer: This is a must have for me! Mine is a vibrating bouncer chair. Colton never really liked swinging so this saved my life. I like being able to have him right by me most of the time, but not having to hold him 24/7. The vibrating is good for colic too.

Play Mat: We bought one for Colton and he hated it! He would rather play on a blanket with new different toys everyday. He too loved the link-a-doos!

Video monitor: If it was me even though I could see them on the monitor I would end up going in anyway. We kept Colton in our room in a co-sleeper till he was sleeping 8 hours at night. He went in his room when he was 9 or 10 weeks old. I am totally doing that again. Good point with seeing the baby when you are doing hair that might be way nice though!

We tried a bunch of stuff and returned it if it didn't work for us. Target doesn't even ask why as long as you return it in 90 days. Hope this helped at all! Congrats again your family is so cute!!

Monica Mary said...

Just buy them all and then let me borrow them!

That's your best advice yet!

Monica Mary said...

But really, do you want a big bulky video monitor to find a place for???

ANGELA OR PAUL said...

i can't believe you only have 2 weeks left, crazy!! seems like it went so quick. can't wait to see pics of her. ok so the bumbo, hayden loves cuz he is always wanting to sit up but he can't quite all by himself yet, and this helps him not be so stressed out. I love it!!! so helpful.

bouncer, oh yes!!! hahaha Hayden loves his bouncer and slept in it til he was about 3 months old. LOL he absolutely loves it!!!

play mat, he also loves!! seems like whatever toys you want to spend money on, she'll love!!

and the monitors cool, but i didn't think we really needed them so i just got the basic ones.

The Lichtie Family said...

Sheen! Congrats on little Hadlee! I LOVE my video monitor, but it's more of a convenience than a necessity. Bumbo, I could take or leave. Fun, but again, not a necessity.Bouncer - I never had one and Ava survived. However, I fully endorse the play mats. I have 2 if you just want to barrow them. She won't need/want them until about 6 weeks old.